Following discharge from the service, veterans may file their military discharge papers (Form DD-214) with the County Clerk’s Office, in the county in which they reside.  By doing so, the County Clerk can produce certified copies.  The Clerk’s Office maintains a list of all DD-214’s on file.


Pursuant to MCL 35.32, a Military Service discharge record (DD-214) is a confidential record and copies may only be obtained by the veteran or a surviving heir of the veteran (copy of death certificate required).


Application for certified copy of DD-214